We’ve rounded up the best free activities and events on this summer in South Bank…
- Head down to our Sunday Sessions on The Green this summer where you can sit back, relax and let the sweet sounds of Brisbane’s top performers wash over you whilst you blissfully forget that the following day is Monday. (Bonus tip: If you order/provide your own food, it’s BYO drinks).
- Head on down to South Bank for a good old-fashioned ‘Barbie.’ Barbecue facilities are located throughout the parklands, at Picnic Island Green, Riverside Green and Aquativity and are completely free to use! Unfortunately, while they can’t be reserved, they can be shared (so if everyone is mindful of other people waiting when using them, it’s a win-win situation).
- Get cultured at one of the many free GOMA Exhibitions on offer. These world-renowned shows are amazing value (or in some cases free!) and allow you to gain exposure to some truly talented, vibrant and all-round inspirational artists.
- Jump on a ‘CityCycle’ bike and take a leisurely ride around South Brisbane. While small fees do pertain to their use, if you’re back under half an hour it costs you $0!
- Okay, so not exactly free (although it costs you nada to meander through), The Collective and Young Designer Markets are too good not to mention! There are bargains a-plenty to be snatched up on every Friday, Saturday and Sunday and the first Saturday of each month respectively. Wander through the maze of stalls and discover original art, homewares and clothes. Who knows, that $20 dress may turn out to be worth a lot more in a few years time…
- Want a day at the beach minus the traffic and hour drive? Head to South Bank’s Streets Beach where there is water, sunshine and fun in abundance!
- Griffith University’s Project Gallery is truly one of South Bank’s hidden gems. A favourite with locals, this Gallery is home to both students and established artists works from around the world. With new exhibitions every month, this is one place well worth checking out. And did we mention it’s also free!?