Popolo has shared their Italian version of roast pork, guaranteed to give you all the cosy feels this winter…
2.2 kg piece free-range pork belly, scored in a 3cm cross-hatch pattern
100 ml extra-virgin olive oil
5-6 fresh bay leaves, finely chopped
3 teaspoons finely chopped rosemary
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
100 ml dry white wine
½ tsp chilli flakes
1. Place pork skin-side up on a work surface, drizzle with half the olive oil, scatter with 3 teaspoons of sea salt and massage in well.
2. Refrigerate, uncovered, for salt to penetrate (2 hours).
3. Preheat oven to 160°C. Place pork skin-side down on a work surface, scatter over herbs and garlic, season to taste, roll to form a cylinder, then tie at intervals with kitchen string.
4. Place in a deep roasting pan, drizzle with remaining oil and roast until partly cooked (35-40 minutes), then increase temperature to 180°C and roast until skin begins to crisp (35-40 minutes).
5. Add wine, increase temperature to 200°C and cook until skin is crisp (35-40 minutes).
6. Set aside to rest (30 minutes).