Sometimes free loading off the parentals is not nearly enough to save the moolah you need for that truly great *insert ‘iWatch/European Holiday/next big night out’ here.* Luckily for you, we’ve compiled a list of the precinct’s best kept secrets, including where to go for the best deals and steals South Bank has to offer you, guaranteed to provide maximum return for minimum output…
1. Check out our Sunday Sessions on The Green where you can sit back, relax and let the sweet sounds of Brisbane’s top performers wash over you whilst you blissfully forget that the following day is Monday. (Bonus tip: If you order/provide your own food, it’s BYO drinks).
2. Head to Obsession Chinese Restaurant where the two-course lunch special that provides you with a starter AND a main course all for just $12.95. #obsessed
3. If you have a student card, than you have 10% off at Manhattan Line to congratulate your tertiary efforts! (Bonus tip: If you can prove you are a local South Brisbanite and work in the area, they will also extend the love- and their offer– to you as well!)
4. Get cultured at one of the many free GOMA Exhibitions on offer. These world-renowned shows are amazing value (or in some cases free!) and allow you to gain exposure to some truly talented, vibrant and all-round inspirational artists.
5. From 11am onward on Sunday’s, you can enjoy ‘paddles’ of five beers for $15 and some bite-sized empanadas at the cheap price of $5 for five and $10 for 12 at Tomahawk Bar. And if you are yet to discover what ‘paddles’ are when it comes to the beer world, we highly suggest you take the opportunity to find out…
7. Jump on a ‘CityCycle’ bike and take a leisurely ride around South Brisbane. While small fees do pertain to their use, if you’re back under half an hour it costs you nada!
8. Get physical and enjoy free Medibank Feel Good fitness classes every week day. Sure beats that $14.99 gym fee every week!
9. For those ‘home cookin’ cravings, South Side Diner’s Mac ‘n’ Cheese Mondays will hit the spot nicely! This special deal allows you to receive two serves of mac ‘n’ cheese for the price of one ($14.50), all day, every Monday.
10. Hop and Pickle Trivia Night’s allows you to actually make money. Yes, you read that sentence correctly. Free to enter, there are weekly $50 gift voucher prizes to be won and a $300 cash prize at the end of the season for the team who has won the most weeks! Hop to it!
11. There are bargains a-plenty to be snatched up at the Collective and Young Designer Markets, on every Friday, Saturday and Sunday and the first Saturday of each month respectively. Wander through the maze of stalls and discover original art, homewares and clothes. Who knows, that $20 dress may turn out to be worth a lot more in a few years time…
12. Griffith University’s Project Gallery is truly one of South Bank’s hidden gems. A favourite with locals, this Gallery is home to both students and established artists works from around the world. With new exhibitions every month, this is one place well worth checking out (and did we mention it’s also free?).