This delicious recipe is brought to you by Denim Co., a delectable festive treat that’ll cure all of your sweet cravings (minus the guilt!)
FOR THE COCONUT BALLS
250 grams vanilla wafers/cookies — or plain chocolate cookies (or Arnott’s Milk Arrowroot biscuits)
400 grams sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup finely shredded or desiccated coconut
2 tablespoons rum (optional)
FOR THE COATING
3/4 cup finely shredded or desiccated coconut (or more)
1. Set up a work station with a large ziplock bag and rolling pin (or a food processor); a large bowl for mixing; and a shallow bowl with 3/4 cup of coconut for rolling in.
2. Place the cookies in ziplock bag, seal and crush with the rolling pin. Alternatively, crush in the food processor until fine crumbs form. It’s okay if there are some slightly larger pieces.
3. Add the crushed cookies, coconut, cocoa powder and condensed milk to the large bowl. Mix the ingredients well using a wooden spoon, then your hands once it gets too thick.
4. Scoop out a tablespoonful of mixture and roll into a 1 – 1 1/2 inch ball, then roll in coconut until completely covered. Place on a baking sheet or tray and repeat until all the mixture has been rolled into balls.
5. Refrigerate until ready to serve.