The colder weather means one thing: we need warming up, and warming up fast. Never fear, Ahmet’s Turkish Restaurant have us covered with their recipe for golden, toasty and mouth-watering gozleme, a Regional Flavours festival favourite.
500g of plain flour
10g of table salt
10g dry yeast
500ml tap water (room temperature)
1. To make the dough, mix the yeast and water and stir until combined.
2. Sieve flour into large mixing bowl and mix in the salt
3. Make a well in the center of the flour and slowly pour in the water.
4. Use hands to combine all the liquid and form a dough.
5. Roll the dough into a neat ball, place in bowl and cover. Let the dough proof in a warm dry place for 1 hour.
SPINACH STUFFING INGREDIENTS
250g (1 bag) baby spinach
500g firm feta cheese (crumbled)
300g grated mozzarella cheese
300g grated cheddar cheese
SPINACH STUFFING METHOD
1. Roughly chop the spinach.
2. Crumble fetta and grate mozzarella and cheddar.
3. Combine everything and set aside.
1. Once dough has proofed for 1 hour divide into 5 even portions and roll into smooth balls.
2. Using finger tips make a well in each ball.
3. Evenly distribute the stuffing into each ball (using all the stuffing).
4. Pinch the dough to seal in the stuffing and reform a ball.
5. Using a rolling pin, gently roll out the balls until they are 1-2cm thick.
6. Lightly oil (vegetable oil is fine) a non stick pan and place on medium heat.
7. Cooking the gozleme for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and the cheese has melted.
8. Slice gozleme and served with a wedge of lemon.