There’s nothing quite like a time-honoured family recipe. At Tippler’s Tap, many of owner Brian Kennedy’s family recipes have made their way to the menu, including Grandma Kennedy’s famous beef chilli.
Grandma Kennedy’s Beef Chilli
Portion size: Serves 3 to 4
1 kg lean beef mince
1.5 kg red kidney beans
1.5 kg crushed tomatoes
400 g diced onion
40 g Cajun seasoning
15 g garlic powder
20 ml red Tabasco
150 ml sour cream
Shredded tasty cheese
Pinch of salt and pepper
- In a pot saute onion until translucent.
- Add mince and cook until browned through. Stir occasionally.
- Drain off kidney beans (ensure there is not brine remaining).
- Once mince is cooked, add all spices and Tabasco sauce and mix through. Then add kidney beans and crushed tomatoes.
- Cook for 2 1/2 to 3 hours on a medium to low heat, stir occasionally to ensure bottom doesn’t burn
- When finished serve in oven bowls and top with cheese to melt in oven
- Once cheese is melted add a dollop of sour cream and chives
- Serve rye bread for dipping
For a vegetarian option exchange the mine for 500 grams of celery and add it when sautéing onions and complete recipe as normal.